What is Unconventional Mark Making These Days?

The "Planned Event Series" Explosion Painting and my favorite new paint brush, The Sledgehammer2015-Present


My collection:
 My favorite paint brushes!

One day after sweeping my studio I began to look at my broom as a potential paintbrush, I broke the handle in half and dipped it in some fresh acrylic.  I stood on the canvas up on my easel and began swinging as hard as I could, knocking it down and setting it up again like one of those toy punching clowns.  I enjoyed the marks that can be created with extreme amounts of force; tiny intricacies and miracles... I decided to continue to pursue this kind of mark making. 

My first action painting was this painting I hit with a broom over and over

Broom Painting | 24'' x 36'' | Acrylic on Canvas | Chris Crewe | 2015


Closeup of "Broom Painting" shows the miniature and intense marks that were created with the extreme force of the broom.



Broom Painting | 24'' x 36'' | Acrylic on Canvas | Chris Crewe | 2015



April 14, 2019 

My Ongoing "Planned Event Series" Led to the Event That Created Abstract Slam Painting #4:

Wine Glass Full of Paint - On Coffee Table - Smashed with Metal Rod 


To create this event I filled a wine glass with layers of paint like a parfait, topping it off with a drizzle of Indian ink and gently placing it on the nearby coffee table to set the scene.  As planned, I smashed it off a coffee table with a metal pipe then threw the pipe to hit the dripping canvas.  

After aiming and smashing as violently as I could, the silence was deafening, the paint splashed onto the canvas on the wall and it was left dripping like a waterfall of high quality liquitex thick as peanut butter; sparkling with a pinch of glitter and broken glass.
I threw the paint covered pipe at work feeling somewhat satisfied as I saw it hit the center and left a diagonal splash... I left the room for a couple of hours.  
When I came back into my studio and began cleaning the mess I had a new sense of pride; I kept looking over at my work and smiling, watching it dry.

Setting this up today made me laugh at my current frustrations,

Abstract Slam Painting #4 | 55’’ x 50’’ | Acrylic on Canvas | 2019 

                         

Abstract Slam Painting #4 | 55’’ x 50’’ | Acrylic on Canvas | 2019 


This is what I found left of the Wine Glass and the Pipe after cleaning up the mess.  Abstract Slam Painting was completed as part of my "Planned Event" Series (2015-2019)



This is the pipe that I used to smash a wine glass full of paint off of a coffee table, the force clearly did some damage to the pipe as well.

Thank you for reading!

Further reading about my planned event painting series:

 Wooloo is one of my favorite art spots!




Copyright 2019 © Chris Crewe Toronto Artist. All rights reserved.

Comments