Sledgehammer Paint Reflection: Catching the Negative Impact of the Mark


Catching the Negative Impact of the Mark

broken granite tile painting chris crewe
The Broken Tile that Changed My Life | 26''x14'' | 2019

Recently I slammed down my 8lbs sledgehammer as I usually do when starting a new work.  This time I forgot what I had stored underneath of it and ended up breaking a large granite tile.

pink brick painting chris crewe
Hot Pink Broken Slab
| 9''x12'' | 2019 

The shape of the  break astonished me it was so beautiful; almost divine in nature.  I became fascinated by it's strange resemblance to my  beloved sledgehammer mark, eventually I grabbed a can of latex paint and poured it over the broken granite tile covering it completely to capture the event forever... literally freezing the moment in time so I could get a better look.  I left the piece undisturbed in the corner of my studio for weeks in the stillness of a far dark corner until I retrieved it weeks later and found it had dried to a mirror like finish (above right).

brick painting chris crewe
Broken Brick Leaking Pigment | 9''x12'' | 2019
I couldn't put my finger on it.  This event ended up changing my perspective on the different sides of force, one on each plane, open air and through concrete density, I needed to obtain a deeper perspective of what I create.  There is a whole side to the story of what makes the paint dance that is being lost here, between the transfer of force into the surface supporting the paint there is an even more beautiful "echo" like mark created which goes down and through the ground, this is what I have been missing, it was the pause between piano notes.  The reverse perspective had to be illustrated;  I was dreaming of more and more possibilities... my mentor was correct; I was only at the beginning of my journey.

The granite tile was like a type of film recording the "negative" image/impact of my painting; it tells a story I never knew was happening.  This experimental side project soon gained all my attention becoming the main focus of my work and quickly ushered in the birth of a new series.


white cinder block painting chris crewe 2019
Slam Painted Piece of Cinder Block | 9''x12'' | 2019

Achieving a state of permanence using latex house paint and cement/brick creates a perfect arena to explore the force of the hammer strike and continue research down this path.

The "negative mark" created by my hammer is a discovery turning my perspective around and sparking a series I call:

Smashed Through The Other Side: New Painting Series by Chris Crewe | 2019

Paintings for sale @ Saatchiart on Oct 5 2019

I am so excited to share these new ideas with you, I hope you enjoy, most of all I hope you continue to dream!
Stay Blessed.

Chris Crewe | 2019


white cinder block with hole in it | chris crewe | 2019
White Cinder Block With Punched Hole | 9'' x 12'' | 2019
Blue Brick on Grey | 9'' x 12'' | 2019
Fluorescent Orange Double Hit Cinder Block | 9'' x 12'' | 2019
White With Black Hit Cinder Block | 9'' x 12'' | 2019

Comments